The Pastoral Council (the “PC’) was set up in April 2009 by Canon Stuart Wilson to promote and support the pastoral life of the parish in all its aspects. It works closely with the Finance Committee and those responsible for the administration of the parish.
In September 2011 it adopted, by unanimous vote, its formal constitution. In 2016, it was re-named the Parish Evangelisation Team to better reflect its purpose.
(Click Here for the Constitution of the Parish Evangelisation Team).
- To be a consultative voice, but through its insights, expertise and advice, to provide support to the parish priests in identifying, evaluating and implementing pastoral initiatives and policies.
- To provide a channel of communication for the opinions and proposals of the members of the parish community, and between the various groups working in the parish.
- To promote an active interest and participation by parishioners in all the activities of the parish with the aim to make the fullest use of the particular skills and professional abilities of the parishioners.
Its Members are: the Parish Priest and parish clergy, eight lay members elected by parishioners, a representative of the finance committee and the Parish Administration Secretary who acts as PC’s secretary
(Click Here for Current Members).
The PC has successfully organized weekends of prayers and reflection during the Year of Faith, as well as improving the structure and the running of many catechetical courses, including the recent launch of a deanery post-confirmation group.
During 2013-14, the PC would like to focus on reaching out to vulnerable people (including the elderly and underprivileged people), an area which began to be explored last year and which the PC would like to follow up with more concrete steps this year.
If you have suggestions and/or would like to be involved, please contact Carmen Galdiolo
(firstname.lastname@example.org or approach any other pastoral council members after the weekends' Masses. For a full list of the PC members click Here
Finally, the PC would like to organize a day of retreat for our parishioners. We are looking at options in and outside London, so please check this website for updates.
In addition, the PC is organizing a variety of social events throughout the year to deepen our sense of community and blend the diversities which exist within our Parish. Click here to go to our Current Events page.
Spiritual life’s enhancement:
- Supervising and coordinating all catechetical groups of the Parish
- Catholicism The New Evangelization Course (Dec. 2013-Jun 2014)
- Retreat at Milleret House for the Parish's ministers (Oct. 2013)
- Organized weekends of prayers and reflection during the Year of Faith 2012-13
- Vigil Prayer for Syria – September 2013
- Deanery Youth’s Day (an event for post-confirmation children in conjunction with the XXVIII World Youth Day held in Rio de Janeiro) – July 2013
- Holy Hour for the Holy Father – February 2013
- Candlemass – February 2013
- Regularly supporting the forty hours of continuous prayer held by the Deanery in our Parish Church.
- Organising the highly successful parish response to the Papal Visit in 2010.
- Leading the Pilgrimage to Walsingham in September 2011.
- Hosting regular talks in the Parish during the Advent and Lent seasons.
- Introduction a new catechetical group (the Lauchpad) for children attending non-catholic schools, in the year preceding their First Holy Communion’s preparation.
Improving communication and welcoming parishioners:
- Creation of St Mary’s website.
- Recruitment and training of our parish Greeters
- Recruitment and establishment of a rota of Readers and Eucharistic ministers.
- Helping our parishioners to receive the New Missal by organising an appropriate teaching programme
- Making Ecumenical links with other Christian communities and traditions.
- Lunch with senior parishioners (Jan. 2014)
- Launch of the Caritas working group (Jan. 2014)
- Distribution of Vinnie packs to homeless people (Dec. 2013)
- Sleepout in aid of the West London Churches Homeless Concern (Oct. 2013)
- Celebration of Jeffrie Downie’s ordination and annual parish summer BBQ (June 2013)
- Parish Open Day – February 2013
- Annual Welcome Back Weekends (end of September of each year)
- Street party for the Queen’s Jubilee – June 2012
- Lunch for our senior parishioners (September 2011 and November 2012)
- Parents' and Toddlers' (PAT) Group -- a meeting group of play and prayer
- Planning and development of parish youth activities (“Five Aside” Football Tournament and “Mini Olympics”).
- Operation Christmas Child – ‘shoe box’ collection for underprivileged children around the world
The Parish Evangelisation Team welcomes your ideas and suggestions.
Please e-mail the Parish Administrator email@example.com or any of the Council members.
The next meetings of the Pastoral Council are scheduled for:
Exposition & Benediction
Site last updated
11 October, 2016